Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Review of the KB Sock Loom EFG

I recently purchased the EFG Sock Loom from Authentic Knitting Board.  This loom is specifically made to use sock yarn and is fully adjustable from baby socks through adult sized socks. 


Although I love my thick slipper socks and medium weight socks that I loom on other round and rectangular looms, I really wanted to try my hand at some lighter socks made from sock yarn.  So I started with two sock yarn weights.  I purchased one skein of #1 weight Red Heart - Heart and Sole and one skein of #2 weight Patons Kroy Sock Yarn. 

I didn't get on well with the #1 weight yarn, and I will return to it later once I have honed my skills on this loom.  So, I switched to the Patons #2 weight yarn and soon I was cooking with gas.



There are things I love about this loom and things I don't love.  But it's the right extra fine gauge to make socks you can actually wear with shoes, and after making one sock, I am not hiding the loom in the bottom of the closet.  I plan to make some socks for Christmas gifts.

I really liked the plastic construction and pegs.  I don't like the looms with metal pegs - all that clacking noise gets to me and it seems harder to catch the yarn and manipulate it. Besides, my Boye sock loom with metal pegs has several loose pegs and one bent peg.  Despite my fears of breaking a plastic peg, I had no problems with pegs bending or breaking, even after dropping the loom on the floor three times (not on purpose).



The yarn slides so smoothly over these pegs that it's a joy to work with.  The loom is lightweight and small enough to be held in one hand while you work, making it a great companion for watching TV or for traveling with.  Just pop it into your bag and take it along.  I think that I will have to be careful not to break a peg, because they are not replaceable.

Overall, I really enjoyed working with the KB Sock Loom EFG and it will be perfect for making those baby socks that I couldn't manage on my larger gauge looms. The loom is not expensive - $14.99 from KB directly plus shipping.  I purchased mine for a few dollars more and free shipping from Amazon so it came out to be a little less in the long run and I got it in two days.

If you want to loom real socks, and not just bulky slipper socks, this is a great loom to learn on and work on.




No comments: