Saturday, May 21, 2016

Lattice Lace Swirl Hat on Round Loom


It’s been a while since I used a round loom to make a hat, so I wanted to do something a little lacy and special.  I have been working this lattice lace stitch in cotton for other projects, but I wasn’t sure how to make it work in the round.  I am rather pleased with the results.  I call this my lattice lace swirl hat.
Lattice Lace Swirl Hat

Using my 34-peg round loom and my treasured assistant, Miranda the model head, I devised a pattern that uses only basic K2tog, purl and knit stitches to create the hat.  Because this is a large gauge round loom, you need bulky yarn or two strands of worsted weight yarn. I used two strands of Red Heart Super Saver Yarn in Buff.

Because I wanted the  swirl effect, there is a little hitch to row 3, but once you learn to do it, it’s very easy.  The key is to keep track of which row you are on, or your lattice could end up going the wrong way!

How to make the Lattice Lace Swirl Hat:


Cast on 34 pegs, we are knitting in the round.

Ribbing - K1, P1 for 4 rows


Pattern:
Row 1 - *yo, K2tog, repeat from * all the way around the loom, ending with K2tog
Row 2 - knit all 34 pegs
Row 3 - *k2tog, yo, repeat from * all the way around the loom, ending with yo (see more below)
Row 4 - knit all 34 pegs

Row 3 Instructions: In order to keep the swirl, the k2tog has to be done by moving the loop from peg 34 to peg 1.  Peg 34 will be the ending yarn over for that row.   Any stitch that was a yo the last time, will not ever be moved.  I like to think of the pattern like a tree, with one thick trunk-like swirl and lots of little branches. It is always the loop that is at the top of the trunk that gets moved over in the k2tog.  This way the lace is always moving right, and seems to swirl into the crown)
I moved all the loops for the K2togs, then e-wrapped the pegs with loops, and yarn over in front of the empty pegs, then knit off the pegs with loops.  My way of doing the rows quickly.

Row 3 moving loop from peg 34 to peg 1



Repeat pattern for desired length.  I use Miranda to help me figure that out, as she models the hat as I go.  My pattern length ended up being 4 inches. 




Crown
Knit 4 rows
Decrease by k2tog, with no yarn over.  Move loop from peg 1 to peg 2, move loop from peg 3 to peg 4, etc., all around the loom. You will have 17 pegs with two loops each.  Now wrap and knit only those pegs with loops.  Knit 1 more row on 17 pegs.



Cut yarn leaving a long tail.  Thread tail end through yarn needle and thread yarn through the loop on each peg all around the loom, lifting the loops off the pegs as you go.  Pull yarn tight, to form crown and close up the top of the hat.  Tie off and weave in ends.


Lattice Lace Swirl Hat in Navy

No comments: