Monday, February 18, 2008

The Elegance of Time


I think my mother's love of clocks began with her mother and stemmed from the old grandfather clock that occupied a prominent place in her family's home. I was fascinated by this clock as a child, and loved to watch the pendulum as it ticked away the time. I noticed that nearly all my grandmother's offspring incorporated grandfather clocks into their decor. My grandmother also had a cuckoo clock - not as impressive as the grandfather clock, but it was delightful to wait and watch for the emergence of the tiny herald of the hour. Days spent visiting my grandmother would have been fairly boring without these timely distractions.

My mother kept lots of clocks, mantel clocks, cuckoo clocks, and various decorative wall clocks. I inherited this clock obsession, but I think that for me, it's a need to watch the time. I have always felt time slipping away, and I am more comfortable when I can convince myself I have a firm grip on it. I even keep one clock set to daylight savings time year-round, just so no changes sneak up on me unawares.

Luckily, clocks can also be decorative as well and functional, so I can indulge my obsession with a little style and flair. And there is even a Clocks Blog to help me feed my obsession and give me interesting facts and histories of all kinds of clocks. I was particularly drawn to this article on mantel clocks and how distinctive and elegant they become when set atop a fireplace mantel. If you're lucky enough to have a fireplace, then I highly recommend having a mantel above it and a roaring fire in it.

Did I mention my obsession with fireplaces?

No comments: